Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Philippines - CSP

Hello from Manila! I am so excited to be here with Roger and seeing the work of Compassion on the field. I haven't been out of the country (except for a quick stop in Canada) since 2001. One husband and 4 kids later I'm out and about again. And it feels good!
The 29 hours of travel was pretty ok - nice to have individual screens for the 14.5 hr flight from ATL to Tokyo. I took an Ambien 1/2 way through but only slept 4 hours so my memories of the Tokyo airport are a little fuzzy. Kind of walked around feeling like a marshmallow.  But no worse for the wear.
Today (Wednesday) was our 1st day in Manila. We started off with a CSP - Child Survival Program. I thought I would love it, and I did! This is a newer program that Compassion has developed in the past 10 years that focuses on pregnant moms and their little ones until they turn age 4 and can enter the traditional sponsorship program. It's amazing what such a proactive move can do for moms, children and families. We watched little ones play and learn their shapes, pregnant moms create homemade baby books for their newborns to come, and saw one of the leaders teach how to properly give a newborn a bath. Striking to me how teaching such basic hygiene and proper care is empowering. But there is a lack of knowledge here that is strong. Just today one of the workers told me that one of the moms lost her baby 2 weeks ago - at 7 months along the mom started to bleed and didn't tell anyone about it for 10+ hrs. By the time they reached the hospital the baby had died. What???? Doesn't she know to call immediately if she begins bleeding so far along in her pregnancy? No, she doesn't. She doesn't know what I know. And that's why I was so glad to meet Carol, the coordinator, and the other women who are tirelessly working to make sure these young moms and their babies have the best shot possible.
It was fun to sit around and talk a bit - to see the young moms connecting with each other. Reminded me of how much my MOMS group meant to me when I had little ones. There's something so encouraging that the Lord does in that specific season of your life. I pray the 2 ladies I met today who are due in December will find great peace and comfort. They are pretty scared b/c of what recently happened to their friend. I pray for that family in the loss of their unborn child. And I pray the Lord would give Carol and the other leaders great wisdom and discerning words.
Headed to dinner... more later or tomorrow. Still working on adjusting to being 14 hours ahead of Bham so when sleep hits I must obey. Thanks for your prayers and words of encouragement! This is all a gift from the Lord.

No comments: